Based on all your feedback (thank you very much), I have come to a conclusion that the best thing to do would be coming up with a list of Pro features, which would be in addition to the standard free Meteotemplate.
- I still feel like when someone wants to use it and cannot afford it at all, they still have the opportunity as these additional features are not essential, more like „time-saving“ features
- No need for me purchasing any licenses, dealing with administration etc – all that would be provided as part of Pro features would be based on purely my work and time
- I would still have some incomes even from standard users, or if a Pro user decided they want to support the scripts
- I would not introduce a fixed price for all now, which would be unfair towards those who already helped
My current idea of how this could work:
- I would leave all scripts and downloads freely available, with the info which includes that if you like this script you can consider making a donation. Scripts will work separately, will remain free and if someone feels they want to help, they are welcome.
Possible Pro features:
- Priority support
- Support via Skype/TeamViewer
- Possibility to place ads on your webpage
- Possibility to get information about planned features in advance and have the possibility to say what you like/want/don’t like
- Possibility to have customizations
- Animated interactive sticker (the one I have on the forums :D)
- ….. – any suggestions?
Last but not least, something I wanted to do for a very long time. At this point still not 100% sure how this would work technically, but for this purpose it would be ideal…
In the ideal case – each Pro user would get a special token, paired with their domain, which would allow updating a block/plugin directly from the Block/Plugin page automatically, without the use of FTP. Over time this could ideally also include installing new stuff. With actual template update it could be problematic due to the fact these updates sometimes include many files and question is how fast your server is and what is the PHP time limit, in case of the entire template it could time out, but I think the last update was relatively easy and quick so it could stay this way, and this autoupdate could only be for Pro. Others would have to use FTP for everything.
And whenever someone entered pro I would activate his token on my server and that would let him download stuff. When they decide they are no longer interested, I would remove it and this feature would no longer work – this is actually one of very few things I can do, otherwise I have very little control over your website, in fact none 😀 The advantage of this would be that it would rely on my website, which I have full control of.
The only problem is that I do not have such script right now, it has been in my head for about 3-4 months…
Just my first thoughts…. Now tell me what you would add/remove, once we come to certain conclusion I will make a poll and re-enable all downloads. Then based on that I would come up with further details as to what exactly would be included, how much it would cost etc etc.
Thank you guys, no matter what happens, I was absolutely amazed by all your replies, I was worried the reaction to me temporarily disabling the downloads would be mostly negative, but you really surprised me…